- can't remember. must find old planner and fill this in later
- kind of a bad, down month
- TCSA elections coverage was a fucking trip
- last issue of Arthur comes on the last day of March
- applied to a million jobs that i never heard back from
- marked lots of shitty first year papers
- marked lots of okay final exams
- made "Dykes & Their Hair" zine
- applied to work at the Toronto Women's Bookstore (TWB), got an interview, got the job
- moved to Toronto, into Little Portugal
- May 5: started working at the TWB
- Crystal, old friend from high school, visits me in TO!
- started writing for tasteto.com
- was enamored by Toronto. spent lots of time exploring the city
- went to my first pedestrian sunday in kensington, where i saw maracatu for the first time
- Pride (two highlights: Dyke March and the Funk Asia stage). wore the tiniest little dress all day Saturday. was shocked by the "real" world after the pride weekend. ew.
- drank a lot of cider
- spent one of the nicest days in the summer with Kam and Sarah, eating brunch, walking down Queen Street, reading and writing on Kam's porch...
- saw Basia Bulat for free at Harbourfront
- got really, really sick at work from eating rotten hummus
- finally bought a bike!
- random York Centre for Women and Trans People BBQ at Makeda Sivera's house...
- fun, relaxed BBQ at Kam's parents'. lots of sitting on the porch, drinking and talking
- extremely successful Ain't No Chick Flick film screening (believe that was The Aggressives...)
- worked many, many hours to prepare for the new school year. got really tired of looking at purple order cards
- delicious Italian food with favourite professor
- Sleazy Listening was fun
- summer loft party at Dahn's in Peterborough
- TaiwanFest at Harbourfront, where, oddly enough, I got to see a Taiwanese aboriginal percussion group perform whom I've wanted to see for the past 10 years
- TWB 35th Anniversary party. Success! Someone bought the shirt I reconstructed for $45 for the silent auction!
- got to see Michelle Tea read at Writing Outside the Margins
- hung out with John Cameron Mitchell (wtf???) and Sook-Yin Lee at a sushi restaurant. Props to Christopher Phillips for setting that up.
- went up to Peterborough to help Ariel and James with Issue Zero
- worked so many hours
- Peterborough Pride
- got trashed at Kate Taylor's housewarming party
- Masia One's album release party at Revival
- LAL at The Boat
- Ladyfest (including Asian Freedom Schoolers, Rae Spoon)
- Take Back the Night
- saw Naomi Klein. we brought over 400 copies of The Shock Doctrine. Only sold 35 copies because we were set up in a shitty area and had to clear out of the space at 9:30.
- started seeing a naturopath
- wonderful new roomie, Anita, moves in with me
- started attending Freedom School workshops. good decision, Teresa
- Jessy, Mason and Kate Killoran birthday party. so much smoke in the attic. so much drama. so much yelling.
- organized my first academic event for the bookstore. success!
- 2nd Annual Coming Out Party at Kira's. I was a kickass DJ. so much dancing.
- TWB field trip to Canada's Wonderland!
- the fucking election was a huge disappointment
- let go from my tasteto gig
- back to the Motherland (Oct. 17 to Nov. 9) ! came out. gardened with Baba a lot. went to Hong Kong for a few days. hung out with Aidan and Diana. reconnected with Fancy, an old family friend. followed the US elections. an emotional rollercoaster ride with my parents.
- Peter fucking MacLean visits me in Toronto! so much nostalgia. so much ranting about high school
- attended a Writing for Comics 101 workshop with Mariko Tamaki
- County Boys at The Pig's Ear. What the fuck was I doing there???
- Meg visits for two nights. Sneaky Dee's with Bryn. Aunties & Uncles. shopping down Ossington. Nazareth's. I miss you, Meggie.
- drinks at the Gladstone with Trevor, Ale, Scott and Naja
- Morgan's housewarming/Julia's goodbye party
- made the biggest purchase of my life - my macbook. hands were so sweaty when I was paying for it
- started therapist/counsellor shopping aka. counselling consultation appointments
- super nice dinner with Julia, Morgan, Carmen and Carmelle at Julia's
- had one of the worst weeks of my life...
- Granny Boots with Rae Spoon! Hump Day Bump! Felt like allllllllll of the homos were there that night
- partied and went out a lot this month
- helped Corrie with frontlist buying from Random House. I want to be able to do a full sales rep appointment myself soon
- started to make a lot more art (drawing, writing, making prints)
- amazing No One is Illegal LAL show at Wrongbar
- started to hang out with Alejandra a lot
- saw Tafelmusik for free
- worked the book table for the In Honour of Barbara Godard symposium. haha...what a weird night. i love seeing academics in their natural drunken state
- scandalous Granny Boots/Hump Day Bump night for my friends
- Maria and I broke up...
- Colour Me Dragg was fucking fabulous
- City of Craft was cute and fun
- met a lot of people from Maracatu
- launch of T & B Toronto Firsts
- was and still am on a Pedro Almodovar kick (watched Todo Sobre Mi Madre, La Mala Educacion and Volver in the span of a week and a half)
- awesome Christmas Eve party at Ale's mama's place. delicious food. fun people. raphi plays MIA's paper planes on the accordian. met more fun people
- Ruth comes for a couple of days. good times with my little sister, as always
- Christmas Day dinner at Kam's parents' with Muna and Ruth. delicious food and chocolate. met Aman, the big bro!
- homemade croissants at Hanae's with Maracatu people. fun! lounged around on Hanae's bed and ate chocolate-filled croissants
- bloody brilliant Maracatu show at Lula Lounge. I danced so hard.
- New Year's Eve party at 336 Delaware. danced a lot, as usual
The last three months of 2008 were incredibly intense, for good and for bad. Lots of emotions and change. Overall, 2008 was a good year for me. There were some really fucking shitty times throughout it, but in general, I can say that it was a good one. It's been a good year because of so many changes I've had to face. I don't do changes very well, but it seemed like I did a pretty good job this year. I don't know how I feel about 2009. A little scared, perhaps. I'm not sure why exactly because, really, it's just another day upon another day upon another day. A new four-numbered number isn't going to make a difference in the quality of my days.
These are the things I want in my life in the new year:
- to make more art
- to get serious and involved in magazine work
- to join the Monday nights Maracatu workshops
- to exercise regularly. fuuuuuuck.
- to get out of the city more often. Toronto Island? Orillia or Barrie for cross-country skiing? Peterborough? Montreal? Quebec City? Cuba? Mexico?
I spent the first day of 2009 doing absolutely nothing. woke up at 11am. used the internet. watched tv shows on the internet. two or three seperate naps. ate junk food. went to bed at 10:30pm. way to go, teresa!
Over and out.